James Wong is a nationally recognized speaker, instructor, digital marketing and communications strategist and passionate social entrepreneur.
Emerging technologies, and the effects of adoption within physical and digital communities, have been a strong focus throughout his career. At age 12, James managed three online communities, supporting over 1,000 North Carolina technology enthusiasts – eventually leading to the management of online communities supporting over 600,000 users worldwide.
From 2007-2012, James served as the Marketing Communications Manager for the iContact Corporation (a division of the Vocus Corporation), an industry leading email marketing services provider, and pioneered digital strategies which spearheaded iContact into the social media marketing industry.
In 2007, James began assisting Chuck Hester, the founder of Linkedin LIVE Raleigh with networking events in the Raleigh, NC area. In 2010, James and his partner, Virginia Johnson, took over as co-organizers of the popular Bi-Monthly Linkedin LIVE Raleigh Business Networking Events.
Today, James is the Co-Founder and Managing Partner of Empowered Ideas, a nationally recognized marketing communications firm for small businesses, nonprofits and government agencies — with a diverse coast-to-coast client portfolio. He is also the Co-Founder and Managing Partner of Fuquay Coworking, Southern Wake County’s only creative coworking space designed for small businesses, entrepreneurs, nonprofits, telecommuters, and “mompreneuers.”
His passion for diversity in leadership and community outreach has led to special recognition by the Society of New Communications Research (SNCR), North Carolina Army National Guard, the National Black MBA Association (NBMBA), The Men of Semper Fidelis (MSF), and by Asian Focus of North Carolina.
In addition, James currently serves on the Senior Advisory Council, and is a past President of the RTP Chapter of the National Association of Asian American Professionals (NAAAP); a Marketing Committee Member for the Fuquay-Varina Chamber of Commerce (2014-Present); and as the Marketing Chair for the Triangle Association of Black Journalists (TABJ). He has also served as the President of the Triangle Interactive Marketing Association (TIMA) in 2012.
Current Board Positions
- Co-Founder & Managing Partner, Empowered Ideas
- Co-Founder & Managing Partner, Fuquay Coworking
- Senior Advisory Council, National Association of Asian American Professionals (NAAAP-RTP) (2014-Present)
- Marketing Committee, Fuquay-Varina Chamber of Commerce | (2014-Present)
- Marketing Director, Triangle Association of Black Journalists (TABJNC) | (2010-Present)
Noteworthy Positions Held
- Co-Organizer, Linkedin LIVE Raleigh (LLR) | (2010-2015)
- Chapter President, National Association of Asian American Professionals (NAAAP-RTP) (2011-2014)
- Marketing Committee, United Way of the Greater Triangle (2011-2013)
- President, Triangle Interactive Marketing Association (TIMA) (2011-2012)
- Marketing Committee, Morrisville Chamber of Commerce’s “East Meets West” Festival | (2012)
- Marketing Communications Manager, iContact / Vocus Corporation (2007-2012)
Over 18 years of diverse and proven experience in various fields such as: